Amarnath Tragedy: 15 dead, all missing traced, says LG Sinha
SRINAGAR — Jammu and Kashmir LG Manoj Sinha on Thursday said that the Amarnath rescue operation has been called off while all the missing persons have been traced successfully.
Talking to reporters here, he said that a total of 15 persons died in the cloudburst and 55 were injured, out of which 53 were discharged from hospital and two are under treatment, who will also be sent to their homes in the coming days.
LG Sinha said that the rescue operation has been completed as no dead body was found in the debris.
He said that the PCR had received 200 calls about missing persons and all the persons were traced, so there are no missing persons now.
Sinha said for the future, they are planning a more secure pilgrimage as the matter has been taken up with engineers and digital mapping of the holy cave will be done to make the Yatra safer.
“Surveyor General of India will conduct a Digital Contour Mapping (DCM) of Amarnath Cave Shrine and its adjoining areas so that steps are taken to prevent human losses due to natural calamities,” Sinha said.
The LG said that those killed in the cloudburst that resulted in flash floods will get Rs 5 lakh of which he had insurance cover besides Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board will pay additional Rs 5 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased.
He also said that pilgrimage is going on smoothly and more than 1.5 lakh pilgrims have visited the holy cave so far.